Applied Research in Geomatics, Atmosphere, Nature & Space
ARGANS Ltd, based in Plymouth, is an independent industrial company of highly-skilled and innovative scientists and engineers working with remote sensing (airborne and satellite) data and geographical information systems (GIS) to map and monitor the marine, atmospheric and terrestrial environments. ARGANS specialises in satellite-based Earth Observation, whether satellite ground segment development or operations on behalf of satellite services industry and space agencies, whilst keeping a strong scientific expertise in remote sensing science in coordination with its parent company ACRI-ST, based in the South of France.
The company works with Space Agencies, in particular the European Space Agency (ESA) alongside UK, European and International partners (companies, research institutes and universities). The launch of the ESA COPERNICUS missions with the SENTINEL constellation of satellites in 2014/2015, and beyond, as well as nationally funded and commercial missions provide many business opportunities. The UK involvement in space business is also growing with the government expecting the UK global market share to increase from 6 to 10 percent by 2030.ARGANS activities, past and present, include:
- Prime contractor for Level 2 ocean salinity component of ESA SMOS Soil Moisture Ocean Salinity satellite.
- Technical management of ESA COPERNICUS Sentinel-2 and Sentinel-3 Mission Performance Centres (launch date 2015).
- Developer of TOUCAN (Tools for Optical sensor User Calibration and ANalysis) within EC SenSyF project
- Prime contractor for the Sentinel Handbook & exploitation tools
- Contributor to Space based Ecosystem Service Assessment & Valuation project
- Service provider for IDEAS SPPA Sensor Performance & Product Assessment.
- Development of DIMITRI, a database & tools for multi-spectral sensor inter-calibration.
- Maintenance & support to ESA MERIS CalVal Calibration & Validation.
- Prime contractor for ESA GMES Sentinel-3 Level 2 Products & Algorithms Prototype Processor development.
- Lead of user training component of Copernicus downstram service AquaMar
- Partner in EC project Ocean Strategic Services beyond 2015
- Support to ESA International Charter Space & Major Disasters and CEOS DRM